The city of Chicago is affectionately called “The Second City”, second only to New York City.
Outside the downtown area, Chicago is sectioned into neighbourhood communities that boast a vibrant and diverse international community. It reflects the ideals in the social fabric of its 77 distinct neighbourhoods.
Chicago is a multicultural city filled with international people worldwide. Diversity is prevalent throughout the city.
Chicago is recognized across the United States as a sports town boasting major league baseball, basketball, hockey and football teams.
Parks and green spaces abound in this urban community, and the parks identify many communities in their neighbourhoods.
The city of Chicago is developed on a “grid” with all streets running north, south, east and west, making travel throughout the city very easy.
Chicago has one of the best public transportation systems in America, so the commute by train and bus is very easy to navigate.
Why Chicago is the best city to live and study English in the USA
- Chicago is a welcoming and inclusive international city with award-winning food culture and iconic attractions.
- Renowned international art galleries, museums, outdoor adventures, and festivals.
- Chicago offers all-age adventures for the entire family.
- A centre of the United States's finance, trade, industry, education and technology.
- Chicago is home to dozens of Fortune 500 companies.
- A beautifully designed architectural masterpiece.
- Chicago has over 50 million tourists arriving every year.
- With the 3rd largest airport in the United States (Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport), students have easy access to other popular destinations in America. (New York, Washington DC, Boston, Florida, Los Angeles and more).
Most popular sights, tourist attractions, and things to do and see in Chicago
- Buckingham Fountain and Park.
- Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art.
- Field Museum.
- Garfield Conservatory.
- John Handcock Center.
- Lake Michigan Boat Cruise.
- Millennium Park.
- Navy Pier.
- Shedd Aquarium.
- The Chicago Riverwalk.
- The Magnificent Mile.
- Wendella Architectural Boat Tours.
- Willis Tower.
Most important events and festivals in Chicago
- Chinese New Year in Chinatown in Jan/Feb.
- Mardi Gras Festival in February.
- Chicago Restaurant Week in March.
- St. Patrick’s Parade on 17th March.
- Chicago Cubs Home Opener – Baseball Season in April.
- Chicago Memorial Day Parade in May.
- Chicago Blues Festival in June.
- Hyde Park Summer Festival in June.
- Chicago Pride Festival in June.
- Lincoln Park Greek Festival in June.
- Millennium Park Music Series in June, July & August.
- Chicago Auto Show in July.
- 4th of July Fireworks in July.
- The Taste of Chicago in July.
- Chicago Air and Water Show in August.
- Lollapalooza in August.
- Expo Chicago in October.
- Halloween Festival and Parades in October.
- Thanksgiving Holiday Parade in November.
- Lightscape at Chicago Botanical Gardens in Nov-Jan.
- Ice skating in downtown in December.