Bilbao is the largest city of the Basque Country, located in the North of Spain, and Spain’s tenth largest city.
With a population of 345,474 people, it is situated south of the Bay of Biscay, just where the city's estuary is formed.
Mountains surround the city's core, more specifically, the city is located on the range between the Cantabrian Mountains and the Pyrenees.
Around 20 years ago, Bilbao underwent massive cultural, environmental and urban regeneration, radically transforming the economy and urban landscape.
What was formally an industrial city is now a modern, regenerated, buzzing city which attracts a large number of tourists every year to see the beautiful sights Bilbao has to offer, such as the spectacular Guggenheim
Most popular tourist attractions and things to do and see in Bilbao
- Arriaga Theater.
- Basilica Our Lady of Begoña.
- Bilbao estuary.
- Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- Bizkaia Bridge - Suspension Bridge.
- Campos Elíseos Theather.
- City Hall.
- Doña Casilda Park.
- Guggenheim Museum - Modern art.
- Maritime Museum.
- Mount Artxanda.
- New Square.
- Old Town.
- Plentzia beach.
- Ribera Market.
- St Antony church.
- Santiago's cathedral.
- Shopping in Gran Via.
- Stadium San Mamés.
- Tapas and wine route.
- The Alhondiga.
- The seven streets.
- The widening.
- Unamuno Square.
- The viewpoint of Artxanda.
- Zubizuri bridge.
Most important events and festivals in Bilbao
- Basque Fest.
- Festival Semana Grande.
- International Film Festival.
- Virgin of Carmen.
Why Bilbao is the best city to live and study Spanish
- Bilbao is the perfect destination for studying Spanish because you will pick up a bright accent.
- Bilbao is an ideal destination for city and nature lovers, as you have both landscapes on your doorstep. Luscious green mountains surround it.
- Bilbao city is not huge, but it has a buzz about it and plenty to offer in terms of culture, history and social activities.
- ‘Ir de poteo is a popular evening event for socialising and consists of having a drink with friends in the old town, Bar crawling as the night goes on.
- Whether you live hiking or on city tours, you will find something to enjoy doing in Bilbao.
- Bilbao has lots of things to see and visit, like the famous Guggenheim museum, sampling the delicious tapas of the region - ‘pintxos’ - or going to the beach for walks or surfing.