Belfast is the capital city of Northern Ireland, located on the banks of the River Lagan on the east coast of Ireland.
It is the largest city in Northern Ireland and the second-largest city on the island.
Belfast is a city of many contrasts: a capital city with a friendly village feel; a warm and welcoming city with a wicked sense of humour.
As a result, it has retained many quirky customs and traditions unique to Northern Ireland, not least a colourful use of the English language.
Belfast is a sustainable city and has been ranked eighth in the world in the 2022 Global Destination Sustainability Index (GDS-index).
Most popular tourist attractions and things to do and see in Belfast
- Barnetts and Lady Dixon Parks.
- City Hall.
- Crumlin Road Gaol.
- Grand Opera House.
- Hop on, hop off city tours.
- Stormont Parliament Buildings.
- Taste and Tour (Food and Drink Tours).
- Titanic Experience.
- Ulster Museum.
- Waterfront Hall.
Most important events and festivals in Belfast
- Belfast Film Festival.
- Belfast International Arts Festival.
- Belfast Vital.
- Cinemagic Film Festival.
- Custom House Square Festival.
- Dalriada Festival.
- Eleventh Night and Twelfth July.
- Féile an Phobail.
- Soma Festival.
Why Belfast is the best city to live and study English
- British and Irish cultures in the same city.
- Exciting nightlife in the world-famous pubs.
- Plenty of green areas, parks and rivers.
- Plenty of live music.
- Shopping areas.
- Some of the best nightlife in the UK.
- Some of the best restaurants in Ireland.
- University campus.